Friday, June 21, 2013

Seeing the World through {Purple} Colored Glasses

I love sewing.  I'm not the best at it, and my sewing machine likes to freak out at me, but I still love sewing.  My Nana is the one who taught me to sew, and we always have a ton of fun together sewing fun dresses.  (Though, admittedly, she does most of the sewing and I generally do most of the cutting-things-out.)

The other day, I had a random urge to look at some sewing patterns, only to find that the website (McCalls, Butterick, and Vogue) was having a huge sale!  And by huge, I mean nothing was over four bucks, and most of the patterns I got were under $2.  So I bought 15 patterns.  I was actually going to buy 16, but the shipping went up $8, so I had to decide which I liked more: the somewhat more practical blazer, or the completely awesome Renaissance style dress.  The Renaissance gown won, of course.

The patterns arrived yesterday and I am so insanely excited!


A lot of the patterns I got are from the vintage collections, and are original patterns from the '50s.  I can't wait until I find time and fabric to make some of these dresses!

This is one of my favorites, and also one I'm not sure I'll ever have the occasion or the fabric to complete, but why not have it on hand anyway?  If I get my way, I will definitely attend a ball at some point in my life.

This pattern might be my absolute favorite.  It has so much potential!  I also now have an assortment of historical dress patterns and a brilliant pattern for super fun full-skirted aprons.  (I adore aprons and am building a collection.)

And there's more exciting news as well!  I got glasses!  I'm still trying to get used to them, as I've never had glasses before.  My family, who have all had glasses for years, made fun of me because I was constantly raising and lowering my glasses trying to see the difference.  (It's a very slight prescription, basically just a magnifying glass for far away objects.)

I'm actually quite pleased with how my glasses look, as I should be, considering I spent over an hour trying on almost every pair of frames at the eye doctor's.  The only thing I really don't like are the nose pieces, because, as I'm not used to wearing glasses, I keep putting them on my head and getting them caught in my hair.  I guess eventually I'll get used to it.  I really wanted some Ray-Ban, hipster-type glasses, because I think they look awesome, but they didn't look good on me.

In other exciting news, my parents recently informed us that we're going to Disney World this Christmas break!  I cannot even begin to explain how super excited I am!  I don't really remember much from our last trip to Disney, about six years ago.  To make things even more exciting, we're also visiting Harry Potter World!  There is so much excitement I can't even contain it!

I've decided that I want to make Disney princess outfits to wear at Disney, because I think it's silly that generally only little kids dress up.  I'm definitely thinking about a Merida dress (I have a medieval dress pattern), a provincial Belle outfit (my favorite princess!), an Alice dress, and shortened versions of Ariel's pink dress and maybe Cinderella's dress.

I found a thing online that matches the different Myers-Briggs personality types with Disney characters.  I am the same personality type as Belle, my older sister is Tiana, my brother is Roger from 101 Dalmations, and my little sister is Peter Pan.  I was more interested in the fact that Sarah (older sis) is the exact opposite of Jack Sparrow and Sam (brother) is the opposite of Gaston.

Well, that's all the interesting things I can think of for today.  Have a lovely weekend!




No comments:

Post a Comment